Tuesday, May 29, 2007

WebEx sucks all the way to the end - what a painful experience

We started using WebEx http://www.webex.com/ in January of this year. It's a web conferencing system that allows you to do online meetings and conference calls. We thought we were safe by buying the leader in the market. Well we were certainly wrong about that. Some of our experience:

The WebEx software only works about 2/3rds of the time. Typical for users on the other end to have problems installing the software.

When you call WebEx to get help they expect you to keep your prospect on the line while they try and figure something out (ya right!). To get to anyone that knows anything takes 3 or 4 people - each time we were left with "if you don't know anything then why the %&*@! am I talking to you?!!"

Once the problem is solved (or in most cases not) WebEx sends you an automated survey "How did we do". In each case we gave them a terrible review, but did anything change? No.

I could go on and on about the problems we had with them, but instead I'll focus on the last issue.

About a month ago we cancelled the contract with the end date of June 14th. I received confirmation from them that the service would stay on until the 14th. Well today we discover that they terminated the service and we're offline. In typical fashion I called WebEx and had to speak to 3 different people all who didn't have the ability to do anything to help me. So, we get cut two weeks early and my only recourse is to sign-up for the service again - or use their pay per use service.

In closing. WebEx sucks.

8 comments:

Jonah said...

Hi Darrell,

I have felt your pain many times. For the past two months I've used Yugma's web conference/collaboration service and it has been very nice. A few reasons: 1. Easy to use 2. Price is right (free for up to 10 users) 3. Features - Yugma offers alot of features that you'd pay more for somewhere else. We use their Premium service for only $9.95 a month. My team of 7 has been very happy with how it works. Hope this helps.

Happy said...

It indeed does...See our firm return the product just after 2 weeks of purchase as its complex interface seems a communication obstacle for many of our employees..Now we have www.rhubcom.com turbomeeting for the same with all the functionalities as Webex and easy to manage help desk features to quickly resolve customer problems on the first call.

Unknown said...

I agree completely. Not only does it suck for the reasons you outlined, it also actively compromises your privacy by turning on your webcam and not letting you turn it off (that privilege is reserved for the meeting host). WebEx has been coasting for eight years, and I cannot comprehend why Cisco paid $3.2B for it.

Unknown said...

I am in the process of trying to cancel my account and it has taken weeks of trying to get through to the right person. Now I am on hold for the 4th time and still have not succeeded. This is absolutely the WORST customer experience that I have ever had, and that is saying a lot.

Susan

v1ncen7 said...

completely agreed.


this is a very poor tool that I have to use as my employers choosed it a long time ago.

I can not see any advantage over anuy competitors. Also it is slow, user unfriendly, has very specific brwoser requirements, works very bad on non windows boxes, occasionally crashes, add an additional password that I have to renew to often, I could go on and on. 80% of my job is spent helping customers via webex, and when I have to use.

bruce saunders said...

I agree. Webex blows. Useless, probably expensive and just sucks! I wish my company would get rid of it. The iphone app sucks as well because it doesn't work if automatic recording is enabled. Who doesn't have automatic recording enabled? Geez.

puzzled said...

Hi Darrell,
i feel your pain

You would think that as a leader in the market the services would be good. I have been dealing wih the asia pacific team based in india and it has been a horrible experience.

Not only are the sales represenatative slow in responding to your request they possess an " i dont care " attitude and out of 5 questions that we sent via email, they will respond to 1. One even had the gal to say "pay first" (thats exactly the one liner message we got) when we requested something about account setup.

Unknown said...

iMeet and Globalmeet. Will make everything in your life a bajillion times better :) here I can prove it: iMeet.com/pgi/michellebarghout